Sunday, July 30, 2006

My garage opener is busted

I have two Chamberlain Whisper Drive garage door openers. They were installed one week after I moved in. They seem to work fine until recently. One day we came home to find the door opened. That was scary. Everything in the garage seems to be in order at least. We also found that my garage opener opens both doors, and the wife's ? not working at all. That's weird. After we closed it, the wonky side also opened by its own.

So today I called Chamberlain and asked for help, after discovering that the unit refuses to reset after I hold the "learn button" down as instructed by the manual's troubleshooting guide. After a few tests the customer rep says that the logic board is fried and they will send me a new one in 7-10 business days. So nice. I will see what happens after I replace the logic board. Meanwhile I guess we'll just unplug the unit when the wife is home.

Update: Simon has found that Chamberlain makes a surge protector for its Liftmaster line of garage openers. I'll see whether I can find them at Home Depot.

No comments:

Post a Comment